Wednesday 26 October 2011

Why when my DHCP changes? my ports closes?

Why every time my DHCP address changes my Utorrent port will close and my download speed will be greatly reduced.



I have to manually port forward again or wait for my IP address to be leased. How do I fix this problem?
Why when my DHCP changes? my ports closes?
ALWAYS use a static LAN IP when doing port forwarding, just for this reason. You can never be sure what DHCP address you will get. Write down all your current DHCP values, like default gateway, netmask, DNS IP, and set your PC to a manual, static IP on your LAN. So, if your DHCP pool goes from .100 to .150, use something like.20 or .30, and enter all the parameters manually into your PC's network configuration. Then, fix your port forwarding...
Why when my DHCP changes? my ports closes?
As the other answer said, setting a Static IP is necessary when forwarding. Here are guides:

http://www.portforward.com/networking/st鈥?/a>



After setting the Static IP, set the rule in the router for that static IP.