Friday 7 October 2011

Can I change my USB 1.1 port to USB 2.0?

My desktop computer has two handy %26quot;USB 1.1 ports%26quot; on the front (it also has 2 or 3 in the back).



I'd like to upgrade my front USB ports from 1.1 to 2.0 using a %26quot;USB 2.0 PCI card%26quot; if at all possible.



So, my question is this: If I buy a USB 2.0 card that has 2 %26quot;external%26quot; and 2 %26quot;internal%26quot; ports, can I use that card's 2 internal ports to %26quot;change%26quot; my two exixting USB 1.1 ports so that they become version 2.0? If so, how is this done?



I'd like to have the USB 2.0 capability on the front of my computer where my 2 USB 1.1 ports are now.



If this can't be done, how are the %26quot;internal%26quot; USB 2.0 ports on a PCI card supposed to be used?



I'm using Windows XP Home Edition.
Can I change my USB 1.1 port to USB 2.0?
Motherboard dependant



Pentium 4 or modern motherboards should support USB 2.0
Can I change my USB 1.1 port to USB 2.0?
i dont think u can without some serious work.
usb is a hardware device so u cannot change it. usb 1 or usb 2 r electronic circuits. u just cannot upgrade a physical circuit only thing is replaing u cannot replace the circuit so u have to go for a change in motherboard means u have to go for upgrading. find out in hardware shop if there is any usb 2.0 add on card is available or not just have a look at the following link
Yes, you can add the USB 2.0 ports using a standard expansion card for a desktop. They sell for about $10 or so. Just search for %26quot;usb 2%26quot; %26quot;card%26quot; on your favorite shopping site.
a usb adapter go to frys and ask for an adapter
You will not be able to change the FRONT USB ports without some major dismantling of the motherboard, ect. However, the PCI card with the USB will slide into the PCI card slot and you will have two inside you computer, and two on the BACK of your computer. If you want easily accessable USB ports, I would suggest an external USB hub, that attatches to one USB port and splits the port, make sure to get one with seperate power, so it doesnt suck out your power from the internal components.



i really never understood internal USB ports, I find no use for them.
You'll have to change your motherboard to a 2.0
this depends on if your front USB ports are hardwired to your motherboard or plug in. If they plug in then you might be in luck just unplug them and plug them into your internal pci card. This should convert them to 2.0
You may not have to change your mother board. You will have to look how the front ports attach to the front of your case. In most cases, they are just a metal box that is clipped on the inside of the case facing out, and have a cable running to the mother board, or to an additional controller. I am not sure if ver 1 and ver 2 ports are wired exactly the same, but they %26quot;should%26quot; be.



Open up your case and look at your front usb ports. How do they connect to the mother board? Look for those cables and see how they connect. Next find you an adapter that will support the %26quot;external%26quot; ports. If you shop around you may even find some that come with the ports that you can put in the front. These will go into a Cdrom or Floppy drive bay. You would then just not use the old ones in the front. Each card will tell you how to plug the external ones on it's board, if you want to try to use the existing ones.
This might be possible but there are several different variables that will effect this.



First your front USB is not connected directly to the motherboard but rather through a %26quot;dongle%26quot;. With front USB ports there are three different standard for doing this, the most common is a plug on the motherboard with 10 pins (2 rows by 5 collums) that look just like jumpers. The second standard is a standard usb port located inside the case that the front ports just plug into. Lastly is a propritery, where the will be one large plug on the motherboard that is used to connect the powerswitch, LEDs, USB and anything else on the front of the case. If the third is the case you really cannot set your front USB up how you would like.



The other factor is the USB 2.0 card you purchase. Most cards only have external ports for the back, a few of them have a standard USB port for the inside of the system, and I have only seen one with the 10 pin jumper.



One option to persue if this is important to you is get the USB card with a internal port, there are a couple companies that make USB hubs that fit into one of the 3.5%26quot; drive bays.
well, it is quite impossible to literally change a USB 1.1 to a USB 2.0, you will obviously have to go out and purchase new ones



installation is simple enough, even for the drivers.



don't fret though, this is no big deal really, I did it on my brothers comp last week, didn't even cost me too much =).
You must buy USB 2.0 PCI card with 2 internal ports. You must also buy 2 USB 2.0 extension cables (70cm is enough). Then you must open your computer case, remove your front USB's physically and put extension cables instead of them.

This is only and best solution.
if u have old motherboard, i think u can't

if u have p4 motherboard it should support USB 2.0
Yes it is possible. In 10 years I have NEVER seen any %26quot;hardwired%26quot; USB on a case or motherboard. Manufacturers know we like to upgrade, that's why EVERYTHING is modular. The PCI USB card must have the PIN style connector as the internal USB as I have yet to see a case with the USB plug internal. If the above are true and you do this, read the PCI card's instructions CAREFULLY as it is VERY IMPORTANT where the VCC+ VCC- GND and PWR are connected and doing it wrong CAN start a fire (I have seen it!).
You are going to have to look athe the internal set up for your pc and find out some details.

Read mloeffler52's answer. I just saw it, and so I am sending you to him! hahaha

;-D sorry I am so lazy today!