Wednesday 21 September 2011

I can't change my Canon GL2 DV connector from "DV IN" to "DV OUT" (firewire)....?

...It's worked before, now I can't capture.
I've dumped video from my GL2 to my computer via firewire many times before. This time, when I plug everything in, the Camera screen reads %26quot;DV IN%26quot; and my computer video capture screen reads that there are no input devices on line. I can't figure out what's different this time. Any ideas how to change the port to %26quot;DV OUT?%26quot;
I can't change my Canon GL2 DV connector from %26quot;DV IN%26quot; to %26quot;DV OUT%26quot; (firewire)....?
I no what you mean! I am having the same problem, you can switch the DV in to DV out in the menu under VCR, but I could not get that to work either. I just installed a pci Firewire/usb 2.0 card in my computer , The device manager shows the enhanced 1394 and usb 2.0 hubs installed, and set it up as per instructions, and used many different software packages( Cyberlink powerdirector 3, Pinacle 9.3, Nero express) and it's the same story, No dv detect! I have been fighting with this problem for some time with a Lite-on standalone that has dv hook up with the same results, No dv detect I am just about ready to just use the svideo/w/standalone and convert the Vob's and say screw it, If you figure it out please let me know!

On page 87 of the Elura manual it states that the this feature is designed when using the camcorder as an analog to digital converter. If you open up the digital editing software it should automatically recognize the camcorder. I suspect that your firewire card is not being recognized by the PC. Unfortunately, I don't have a solution because I use a Macintosh computer which comes with firewire capability from Apple.

It sounds like your firewire card isn't working properly. Go to Device Managager and see if you have an entry for an IEEE 1395 Bus Host Controller. There should be some sort of device listed under this heading (mine shows a Texas Instruments Controller). If there isn't anything listed the comp can't see the card. Remove the card and try installing it again. A common problem is not seating the card in the slot correctly - make sure it's pressed all the way in. When the comp starts up it should tell you that it found new hardware. If not, and the card is properly seated, there is a bigger problem with either the card, the comp, or Windows. You can rule out the card by trying it in another slot (if you have one) or in another comp. If it doesn't work in another slot or comp, probably a dead firewire card. You can rule out the slot in the comp by putting another device (such as a modem) in it and see if Windows finds new hardware. You can rule out Windows by making the CD drive bootable and trying a %26quot;Live%26quot; bootable Linux CD distro (it's safe and won't do anything to your Windows installation). Knoppix is popular and works well. My bet is an improperly seated card. Good luck.

PS The first time I connected my camera to the firewire cable it was detected automatically and without me needing to do anything on the camera.
I can't change my Canon GL2 DV connector from %26quot;DV IN%26quot; to %26quot;DV OUT%26quot; (firewire)....?
A Special Aloha greetings to our MX Owners @ the White House, CNN,
National Geographic, Camera Action Australia, DV Central, members of
SAG %26amp; NAFTY, Videography, MS, ESPN, ILM, Disney %26amp; Global DVC
members %26amp; Special Kudos to my Luis-meister.
the firewire system is two way, you do nothing to change a port from DV in to DV out. when you want to put a program back to the camcorder, you use %26quot;Print to Tape%26quot; option and out it goes. what you may have done is forgot to put the camcorder in playback mode.