Saturday 4 June 2011

PC won't recognize Printer via Parallel Port?

Does anyone know how to configure the HP 4550n to work direct from a PC parallel printer port?





I have a HP 4550n color laser printer (C7086A) with a JetDirect 610n (J4169A) network/print server installed. The printer had it%26#039;s own IP address and was working fine for years through a D-link 707P router until the router died. I connected the printer direct to my PC using the original HP parallel cable (C29460) and changed the port to LPT1. I can not get the PC (HP Pavilion w/Windows XP Home Edition) to recognize the printer. I%26#039;ve tried reinstalling the printer with the original installation disk, reinstalling the printer with “add a printer” (with and without auto-detect feature), tried “add new hardware”, updating the driver, changing ports, disabling the high-speed parallel interface, cold reset, tried another cable (HP #8120-8668), tried removing the network card and then rebooting the printer in hopes it would default to the parallel port, but nothing works.





I know the parallel port on my PC and the cable is working because I can print to my HP 3100, however the 3100 is host based and uses it’s own port created by the software and does not use LPT1. Is there anyone out there with advanced knowledge that could give detailed suggestions on troubleshooting this either from the PC or the printer control panel?





I am not a newbie by any means, but this one has me stumped.





Thank you in advance!|||If you are comfortable accessing your PC bios, then check your %26quot;I/O Device Configuration%26quot;. I believe your choices are (ECP, EPP, SPP, Bi-Directional). Change to %26quot;Bi-Directional first, and if that does not work, try SPP.





Good Luck!